The celebration begins with 9 nights of posadas (which means literally "inns"). These are community processions where people walk each night from one church to the next asking to be taken in, recreating the experience of Mary and Joseph on their way to Bethlehem.
We love to join in as they proceed through different neighborhoods each night, carrying candles and singing the special posada song which requests shelter for the night. Each night we are invited for ponche (a non-alcoholic punch loaded with traditional fruits like prunes and apples and others with names I don't know.) Usually there are piñatas along the way hanging in front of some houses for the children to break and it is very merry. We participate for the community feeling rather than the religious tradition and are wamly included.
Christmas is a time for family and not of gift giving, although that is creeping south of the border with some of the businesses even having jolly santas as you enter the store. The gift giving for the children in Mexico is on Jan. 6th, Three Kings' Day (Feast of the Epiphany) which commemorates the gifts the Magi brought to the baby Jesus.
On Three Kings' Day families eat rosca de reyes, an oval shaped bread made with dried fruit. Baked inside the bread is a tiny baby doll, representing the baby Jesus. Whoever gets the slice of rosca with the baby must provide tamales and atole (a sweet milky hot drink made with corn flour and cinnamon) at a party on February 2. I have gotten the baby (sometimes there are several in the fruitcake) but have never yet given the party since I don't know how to make atole or tamales.
We wish all our friends and family Felices Fiestas y un Prospero Año Nuevo in 2008.
5 comments:
Love the pictured!!
Thanks for answering my questions! What a wonderful community celebration! I will have to get a passport for Paul this year, and we will have to come down to experience it for ourselves!
Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Love, Rhonda
That sounds like an incredible experience! How fun to be with whole community for a Holiday like that. Mel is right that picture is beautiful. Have a great Christmas. Love you guys!
Merry Christmas!!
It is snowing here in Beaverton. Jacob was on the phone with his parents and I saw a white thing float out of the sky. There was only one... so I thought maybe it was a small feather. But about 45 minutes later it let loose :) It was a nice gift. It is not sticking but it is pretty to see it fall.
What a lovely description of Christmas in San Miguel! Thanks so much for the links back to my site, http://www.experience-san-miguel-de-allende.com for the ponche recipe and posada song lyrics.
I hope you'll all visit other pages as well. I love sharing everything about San Miguel.
Donna
Post a Comment