Saturday, April 26, 2008

San Francisco's Historic Trolleys

San Francisco has always been special to me; my grandmother Crow was born there in 1880 and we lived in San Anselmo across the Golden Gate bridge when my brother David was born in 1947. We returned often to visit. In college I used to fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco for $13 and take the Greyhound from there to Oregon. Yes, that isn't a typo, it was $13.

We took this photo from our favorite viewpoint in the hills just before you cross the bridge.


This trip we stumbled on something we hadn't done before. The F Line that runs along Market from the Ferry Building to the Castro district has beautiful antique trolleys from around the world: from Milano Italy to Brooklyn New York. These have been lovingly restored and some have been painted in the colors of several old trolley systems, such as Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, Kansas City, and Los Angeles. The Italian car even has some of the original signage and the wooden slat seats. Of course we rode the line from one end to the other and then back again. The cars were so beautiful I could have spent days trying to photograph them all but I did capture a couple. Take a moment to look at their website to enjoy the scope of their international collection.

2 comments:

MM said...

Why didnt we go visit more when I was young?

jooliej2000 said...

Hello,

Jacob and I have been watching the NC and Indiana primary results all afternoon and night. The last garden plot was worked on starting two days ago. There is only one or two boxes that have not been worked on. I won a 25$ gift certificat to the Golden Crown chinese place at the Central NAC meeting last night :)

Hope to see you soon.

Julie