Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Fun with Trasteros

Last week we drove to a particularly handicrafty grouping of towns around Lake Pátzcuaro in the state of Michoacan. Our goal was to buy two carved wooden shelves, or trasteros, in the traditional Mexican style. These shelves are used for storage in the kitchen or dining room.

Entering the woodworking village of Cuanajo, we saw several being loaded into a truck. The charming driver, who was on his way to a larger town to sell them, insisted on unloading some for our perusal. Here are Yoli and Bryan supervising.

We bought two but Yoli wanted a different style. The driver left his loading crew by the road while he drove with us around town to peer into sawdusty workshops trying to locate one with a fish motif.

We were successful but the search took nearly an hour. When we asked the young man why he was being so helpful, he explained that he had lived and worked in Texas for several years and really appreciated the help he got from Americans there.


Here are our two purchases with their legs cut off, painted to go with our house, and hung to display some of my plates. Are we in Mexico yet?

1 comment:

jooliej2000 said...

Hi,

I hope you are both having lots of fun. I went to a benefit auction for the school of one of my friends two girls. I had never been to anything like that. I ended up being the highest bidder on a week long trip to Mexico :) Jacob and I have been talking about it for a long time. We can choose between aculpoco and Cancun. I have never been to Cancun, so that is my first choice. I also bid on some embroidered tea towels and won. The garden registrations will go out this week. They have kicked some people out who don't live in Beaverton Proper. Mike is one of them. He has plenty of space in his back yard. I know of one other person and she has a yard too and is helping to "work" the gleaner's spot out past Farmington Gardens.