Friday, February 7, 2014

Mazunte wildlife

When Mazunte was first settled, it was the home of farmers and fishermen and eventually the home of a sea turtle slaughterhouse.  Since 1991, when Mexico began enforcing the ban on harvesting and sale of turtle meat, Mazunte's slaughterhouse became the National Mexican Turtle Center (Centro Mexicano de la Tortuga).  We visited it today and saw these little 2-day old baby turtles. They reminded us of our turtle release in Troncones, Guerrero a few years ago.

Through the window from our bed we have a great bird-tree. It is tall and has no leaves so I have been able to observe several varieties.   I call these the yellow variety.
I Googled these guys; they are White-throated Magpie Jays.  They do their fly-by just at sunrise and make a raucous noise like really mad chickens.  I love their swooping long tails in flight and their curious top-knot feathers.