Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The best laid plans...

Monday morning we woke up armed with an agenda. We wanted to apply for the senior discount card which required multiple copies of passports, visas, and even our original birth certificates. But we were prepared, except for 3 very tiny photos each. The cards are issued between 8 and 10 each Monday. Well, the photo place was closed at 8 and when we got to the office at 8:30 the line was closed as they didn't have enough cards today. Oh, well, there is always next Monday.

The big success we had today was signing up for cable and internet. We went to the office at 10:30 when it opened and by 5pm we had speedy wireless internet and basic cable. The affable guy who came to hook us up again was the one who had done our previous two hook-ups and he congratulated us on completing the house. The first time he came we were still sleeping on the inflatable mattress on the floor so that's progress. I will try to get some photos of before and after for the house soon.

Preparations are continuing today for this weekend's big celebration of Mexican Independence which occurred on Sept 16, 1810. A main player in this was Captain Ignacio Allende, the namesake of our town, so most decorations include his likeness. This is the first time we will be in town for this celebration.


This is also a good time to stock up on Mexican flags and sombreros decorated with the word Mexico.

1 comment:

jooliej2000 said...

Thank you for the pictures. I am glad you have your cable and internet working. I was out in the garden this morning. I picked some of your tomatoes and have them cooking down into pizza sauce as I type. I met a woman named Joanne, who is looking to buy in this neighborhood. The house on the corner of 9th and Tucker (blue and white) is for sale. She has arthritis, so Mikes townhome would not be a good fit for her. She was interested in having a raised bed. Flora, your garden box neighbor came around the corner about that time and said she was going to pull up everything because she was having surgery. I told her I would babysit her stuff for the next six weeks. She was so happy. She didn't want to be delinquent in her clean up. Time to go stir,
Love Julie