Sunday, September 16, 2007

Independence Day Celebration

Imagine the 4th of July and New Year's Eve and you have a Mexican Independence Day celebration. There were more people crowded into the central square than should have been, getting their faces painted with Mexican flags, waving Mexican flags or draped in Mexican flags.



The evening began with an energetic and joyful performance of regional folk dances by a folkloric troupe. It is impossible to watch these dances without a grin on your face.








It is a family oriented night and, although not part of an official program, some parents showed their pride in dressing their children.




















At 11pm there was a reenactment by the mayor of an historic call to battle,"The Grito," followed by fireworks. The party lasted into the night but I crashed before midnight. There is more tomorrow night!

1 comment:

jooliej2000 said...

Thank you for the new pictures. They are all good and the one you put on your desk top is great!! It feels like fall here. I think our high temp was around 65. There was a brisk wind. There are still lots of tomatoes.

I hope you have a great day.

Julie