Our taxi driver from yesterday came to pick us up at the hotel at 8. The plane to Delhi was delayed until 12 noon so we decided to go back into Kabul. A bus costs 1 AFG and a taxi 50 so we decided to experience the bus. I’m glad we did because we saw that the first 3 rows of seats on the bus are reserved for women and children and they sure cram them in. When it started filling up after 2-3 stops, Bryan moved to the back and left me with the ladies who were covered from head to toe. A woman and infant sat next to me. She had uncovered her face but after an uncertain look at me covered again. The baby and I made faces at each other.
The bus ride took about 10 minutes and at the center of town everyone got out. Thank goodness for that because we were so crammed in I couldn’t have gotten out if I wanted. On the way back, after buying a few postcards, I shared a seat with two other women – cozy. The one next to me was old by the looks of her hands and I think she kept smiling and nodding to me. I’m sure about the nodding and I smiled back. Even at close range the mesh covering their face is difficult to see through.
The plane finally took off and we had an uneventful flight except that we were served a small snack and it was past lunch time. The plane was a Swedish one leased to Ariana and the pilot and stewardesses were Swedish.
Arrival in Delhi was worse than I had imagined and had me in tears. The baggage search was long with only two officials for the plane and too many people. Taxis outside wanted to charge us 3 times the price. A helpful young British man explained the taxi metering system and arranged for a taxi to take us to a guesthouse address recommended by friends. There was no phone number so we just took our chances.
We were warmly welcomed and offered tea and I calmed down. The room is lovely with two French doors and a window overlooking the garden and lawn. It has a private bath and breakfast for 65 rupees ($8). How peaceful after that airport hassle.
We took a 3-wheel taxi scooter into town center – about a 10 minute ride – at the cost of 2.80 rupees, about 30 or so cents. These are metered too, only at ½ the rate of the taxis. We got some maps from the tourist office and checked the American Express office but the mail section will be closed until Monday – darn. Had a ham and eggs dinner at a pleasant restaurant – Kwality – kind of like a Dennys and then home to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment